Good morning everyone! I would like you to meet this week's featured blogger, 23 year old Bivi who blogs over at Alive as Always. After learning a bit about her I was happy to find out that we both love to read and draw. Two things that have always been passions of mine and seem to be hers as well. I hope that you will give her a warm welcome and enjoy getting to know a bit about her and her blog from her answers to the questions below.
1. What or who inspired you to create your blog?
I didn’t know the concept of fashion blogging until I found Bonnie Barton of Flashes of Style through tumblr. Her blog was so picturesque and beautiful that I wanted to create one for myself. But I didn’t know much about fashion so I was unsure if I could do it. That is until I found A Beautiful Mess —back when it was still a personal blog—and learnt that I could write about whatever the hell I wanted.
2. What is your #1 favorite thing about blogging and why?
Ooh…this is always the hardest question. I can never pick between taking the photos and writing the content. Creativity has always been my favourite thing to explore, and both these things allow me to do that. Also, I’m quite an outspoken person so it’s always nice to have an outlet in both these things.
3. What main topics do you blog about?
Outfits, frankly. Up until 2015, I blogged my outfits every four days. But it has actually led me to abandon other aspects of my passion and my appreciation for the outfits themselves. Now, though, I really try to blog about everything that I love, such as illustration, recipe and literature. But outfits are still the most fun I have on the blog ;)
4. When you’re not blogging, what do you enjoy doing?
Drawing or reading books, mostly. They have always been my lifelong passion. Actually a piece of paper, a pencil and a good book are my go-to life essentials. They always save me from boredom without having to resort to gadgets—plus they educate me in some ways.
5. What has been your favorite place to visit and explore?
Wow, again, tough question. I don’t know if I could choose just one. Since 2011, I’ve been moving almost every year and each new town gives me new adventures, which I love to explore. But my favourite would have to be—at the risk of sounding cliché—Paris, France. Not because it’s a romantic city, but because of the memories I acquired when I visited there last time. Plus, the architecture is just to-die-for.
6. Do you blog as a hobby or is it your job?
Right now, it seems to be a hobby of mine. Although, to be honest, if I were contacted by people who would love to sponsor me, I wouldn’t say no. I’d love for it to be my job. But, alas, it is only occasionally my job for now.
7. Where would you like to take your blog in 5 years?
When you say “take,” do you mean geographically? I don’t know where I would take it. If anything, I hope it would take me somewhere. But in 5 years, I hope to still be blogging about the things I love and, hopefully, it will reflect my work as an illustrator more so than now. Also, I’d like it to open doors for me to collaborate with more people in different fields of work.
8. What has been the hardest thing that you’ve encountered since you began blogging?
Staying motivated. This happens every year and I’m proud to say that I overcome it every time.
9. From your experience, what’s one tip that you would give to a new blogger?
Don’t be afraid to show who you really are on the blog. Don’t be afraid to show your blogs to your friends and family. You might be surprised: they could end up falling in love with the side of you they never knew before ;)
10. What are your top 3 must watch tv shows?
Scrubs, Veronica Mars, Grey’s Anatomy
11. What is something about you or that you that makes you unique?
Uhh…gee, I don’t know. I guess I’m never afraid to be myself, even when I was afraid to explore myself.
12. Do you have a historical or currently living icon that you look up to? Why?
I don’t have idols but I do have a role model: my (late) mother. We have the almost exact same face, voice and personality—so I hear from various people. She was a strong, independent woman, who knew how to let other people take care of her and how to show her soft side when needed. She inspired confidence in me and I will always aspire to be like her.
13. What is the one blog post that you are the most proud of hitting the publish button on?
Definitely this one! It may not have the best photos but this post changed the whole game for me. It was the turning point, in which my choices were suddenly put into question. And it decided what my blog would thenceforth stand for. And I still believe in this principle to this day.
14. What is your favorite season and the one thing that you look forward to during it each year?
If I lived in a four-season country (which I did for 3 years), I would say that is autumn. It is my birth season and super gorgeous. The season is filled with my absolute favourite colour, orange, and it turns every corner into a stage. I loved to collect ginkgo leaves on this season. I hear old poets used to send them to their lovers in a letter. It is just so romantic.
15. Is there anything else that you would like to share about yourself, your life or your blog?
Yes, although I try to be as open as possible on my blog, there are things which just do not come across, I’m afraid. I’d like to say them here:
1. I’m a freelance illustrator from Indonesia and you can check out my works here (commissions are currently open, just in case you’re interested ;) )
2. I used to study at Uni in Germany and lived there for 3 years (2011-2014)
3. I’m in a long-distance relationship with my boyfriend of 5 1/2 years, who stays in Germany.
4. I’m fluent in three languages (Indonesian, English, German) and quite good in Japanese.
Thank you Bivi for sharing some things about you and your blog and letting us get to know you.
Stop by next Wednesday for another "Meet the Blogger Behind the Blog" to meet another amazing blogger.