So lets start the year off by meeting a new blogger shall we. This week we are meeting Contessa Grigia (a name that she was given by her friends in college) which also happens to be the same name of her blog. She also happens to live in my home state of sunny California. She mentioned that they are are transplants from the SF Bay area to the beautiful Central Coast.
1. What or who inspired you to create your blog?
We were starting our move from the SF Bay as city people to pursue our dreams, collectively as a family.
My husband wanted at least 5 acres with no one around him. We have a 500 acre ranch, where we run Angus.
My son wanted a vineyard and hotel. We own San Marcos Creek Vineyard and Winery. The campus includes Reale Leone, which is a four suite bed and breakfast. It also includes a loft, that is a vacation rental, and a 5000 square foot house that is a vacation rental villa.
My daughter wanted a farm, so we have a 40 acre farm with chickens, goats, heifers, miniature donkeys, dogs, cats, and bees. We also have an orchard.
I wanted a museum and art center. We will open our art center this Saturday “Casa Dell Arte”, a place to discover your inner artist. We are going to have paint and sip classes, crafts, dance, yoga, kids classes, offering art and science, and lectures where people can learn something new.
My museum will open in 5 years. (It will happen)
2. What is your #1 favorite thing about blogging and why?
I love writing, we have a lot going on, and it is so cathartic to just put it on a blog.
3. What main topics do you blog about?
Our farm, art, San Luis Obispo, Photographs, winery, and life.
4. When you’re not blogging, what do you enjoy doing?
5. What has been your favorite place to visit and explore?
I love adventures, since we are relatively new to our area, I explore our beautiful county.
6. Do you blog as a hobby or is it your job?
It is my hobby.
7. Where would you like to take your blog in 5 years?
I would like to grow my blog, and take it to another level.
8. What has been the hardest thing that you’ve encountered since you began blogging?
Name changes…I had so many followers when I began.
9. From your experience, what’s one tip that you would give to a new blogger?
Find a name you love, and stick with it. After you have done the research for it to be YOURS!
10. What are your top 3 must watch tv shows?
How to get away with murder, News, and Big Bang Theory.
11. What is something about you or that you that makes you unique?
I don’t give up on my dreams.
12. Do you have a historical or currently living icon that you look up to? Why?
Thomas Jefferson, Cicero, Leonardo Da Vinci, Vannozza Dei Cattanei, Oprah, Cosmo de Medici
They were so well rounded in so many aspects of life. Vannozza had inns, winery, vineyards, she also had brothels…but she was a business woman. She was also married to the Pope. She wasn’t perfect, none of us are. She prospered in a time that was extremely difficult for women.
13. What is the one blog post that you are the most proud of hitting the publish button on?
14. What is your favorite season and the one thing that you look forward to during it each year?
I have learned to embrace whatever life brings me, and be grateful!
15. Is there anything else that you would like to share about yourself, your life or your blog?
We are only given this one life, so make the most of every single day. Some days are going to be hard, but you got this. Call a friend, or write about what is bugging you instead of taking it out on another human being. Share joy with others, the love of life will spread. Chip at your dream every single day. I came from poverty. There are heartbreaking stories in my past, and they got me to this point.
A month after buying our vineyard and winery I cried for a whole day…I hid in the inn (that was making no money), and cried until I couldn’t cry anymore for that day. More on this when I post about owning our winery for a year, which is September 9th 2016.
Thank you Contessa Grigia for sharing some things about you and your blog and letting us get to know you. You can keep up to date with Contessa Grigia by following her on: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and of course her blog. Stop by next Wednesday for another "Meet the Blogger Behind the Blog" to meet another amazing blogger.